I do not have a robot device like an Alexa or Amazon Echo in my house, but Caroline Frick’s “gentleman caller”is a very modern man who “likes his toys” and he has one. An important question was asked of it…
Is William Shatner a good cook?
However, here at Silver Screen Suppers, we believe the answer to this question is actually YES! Because his Lime-Garlic Chicken was not only enjoyed by yours truly, test cook Julie Winfield here in London made a deliciously Vermouthy gravy with her whole chicken cooked to Mr Shatner’s method and the Frickster in Austin, Texas proclaimed his recipe to be: “definitely a winner.”
Dr. Frick points out that the bottle of vermouth in this photograph was found at her parents’ home, and she continues, “I think it likely was purchased in 1976…. Worked like a charm, tho.”
I liked the response Dr. Frick left in respect to my directions about oven temperatures…
Me: “Please note – oven temperatures are for a non-fan oven. If you use a fan, you should reduce the temperature of your oven by 20 degrees or so…”
Dr. Frick: “I have NO idea what kind of oven I used but assume it had a fan. I am appalling…”
and last but not least from the Frickster…
Dr. Frick: “My main comment to share is that this is a better recipe than Shatner is an actor and/or singer.”
Well, I disagree on the acting front. I LOVE WILLIAM SHATNER. But she might be right about the singing.
- Rub chicken well with garlic halves, then crush and finely chop the garlic.
- Grate rind from lime; halve lime and rub the chicken all over with the cut sides.
- Squeeze the juice of the two half lime pieces into a bowl. To that add 1 teaspoon of the grated lime rind and finely chopped garlic. Next add the vermouth, melted butter, salt and freshly ground pepper. Blend these ingredients together.
- Place chicken pieces on lightly oiled rack in broiling (Roasting Dish) pan. Brush well with the lime sauce and broil (roast). Check every 10 to 15 minutes and brush often with more of the lime sauce.
- Cooking time will depend on the heat of your oven and the size of the chicken pieces remember the smaller chunks will cook more rapidly than a whole bird.
- Serve with pan juices mixed with remaining lime sauce, and garnish with lime slices.