Ee by gum! Mr Rathbone had the choice of anything he wanted for his pre birthday dinner and he selected Toad in the Hole. Last time I made this for him I did Vincent Price’s recipe but this time I chose our Gracie’s – seen below in all its splendour.
In the spirit of turning over a new leaf for the new year I am going to try and post more of the recipes on the blog in 2014. So here we go with a flashy new plugin…
- 4 oz flour
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- just under 1/2 pint milk
- 1 dessertspoon cold water
- 1 oz dripping
- 1/4 lb chipolata sausages
- Sieve flour and salt together into bowl, hollow out centre and break eggs into it. Stir, gradually mixing in flour and adding half the liquid. Beat well for 8 minutes and then stir in remaining milk and water. Leave to stand for an hour.
- Skin sausages. Heat dripping in fireproof dish in oven. Pour in the battter and arrange sausages on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes in a hot oven (425 deg F - Regulo 7). Stand dish on a heated baking tray while cooking, if you like, to make the batter really brown and crispy underneath.
- Written exactly as per Gracie's instructions.
- If you need metric or cup measurements, I find this site very good - http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/ and if you do a lot of conversions, Delora Jones' book Measurements for Cooking is superb - http://www.glencoehouse98.freeserve.co.uk/measurementsforcooking.htm
- I used LARD rather than dripping (equally old skool I thought).
I bought two types of sausage as I wasn’t sure which Mr R would like, we decided on three of each – oh yum!
The verdict? Absolutely delicious.
Thanks Gracie – your no nonsense TITH rocks.